Friday 13 March 2015

Farewell, Sir Terry

I was very saddened to hear the news that Sir Terry Pratchett has passed away.



I obviously never knew him personally, but I was introduced to his books when I was a teenager, and have been a huge fan ever since. 

I have read nearly every one of his 70-something books - and plan to read the rest. I have watched the TV and film adaptations of his stories, and listened to the radio ones. I love the worlds he created, that sent up this world and showed you a more unique way of looking at things.

He seemed to have a wonderful attitude to life and an incredible astute and witty way at critiquing, exploring or explaining things.

I also watched his documentaries made later in his life, when he had become a huge advocate for people living with dementia, and people wanting to end their own lives at a time and in a manner of their own choosing, should things become unbearable for them. These are difficult things to discuss, and I felt that Sir Terry was very courageous to tackle these topics, doing a huge service for those who wanted these discussions by bringing the topics into the open. 

He seemed a wonderful person, who brought so much to so many through his work. As a fan, I will miss him greatly. RIP, Sir Terry.

"No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away"


 

No comments:

Post a Comment