Oops – I hadn’t meant to be offline for that long, but I forgot to pack my laptop when I was getting ready! (I told you I hate packing because I always forget something…)
However, it was a fantastic few days, and a very busy few days too! So I’m not even sure I would have been able to get on here, even if I had had my laptop…
I know that I’m biased, but the wedding was AMAZING!!!!! Really really wonderful :) I will put up a little about that later, but obviously not too much, as it was someone else’s special day and I want to respect that.
In the meantime though, I have some photos of the finished Glastonbury!!! Yay!!!! I didn’t manage to get any pictures of the finished blanket until I arrived at Hampstead Norreys, the Berkshire village where the wedding took place. But once there I had a bit of an opportunity to get some pictures:
The edging is number 93 from Edie Eckman’s Around the Corner Crochet Borders, although I adapted it slightly – I thought it looked a tiny bit boring for what I was after, so on the final round where you add little chain-3 peaks to the points of the design, I mixed it up a bit more to add more interest, and every so often I added a chain-3, chain-5, chain-3 into the peak, to make a slightly larger trefoil-type shape. I think this just added a bit more interest and fanciness to the final design.
I wanted each corner to have the trefoil in it, so I counted out the peaks and found that by doing 2 peaks as the pattern describes, then the 3rd as my trefoil design, it worked out perfectly :) I was very happy with how the finished design turned out!
When my Aunt and her husband arrived – they were staying in the self-catering cottage next to ours – the blanket was draped over an arm chair where I had been posing my crochet for some rather self-indulgent photos…
It wasn’t how I had planned to give it, but I pointed it out and said “look, what do you think?” My Aunt practically squealed and said “Wow!!! Is that really for me??!!” She seemed genuinely really excited and impressed with it, which made me very happy :) She looked at the whole thing, holding it up and playing around with it, and then wrapping herself up in it! Yay!!!
As you can see, despite the fact that I had planned to make it 9x9 squares rather than the 8x8 I did in the end, it's still a good sized blanket!!! It's about 50 inches, or 127cm, across on the square patches, and the border is about another 5 inches / 12cm wide on each side, including the peaks of the lacy edging.
So, now for the gratuitous blanket photos:
Then the sun actually peeked out, so I rushed outside again for a couple more, before the clouds rolled back in:
I’m so pleased with this blanket, I have really enjoyed making it and it was so lovely to see the reaction of my Aunt when she received it!
Factoids: This blanket is 100% acrylic as my Aunt is slightly allergic to wool. It is mostly Stylecraft Special DK, with some James C Brett yarn, and occasional random others - the full yarn details are here. I hooked it up on a 4mm crochet hook, and each square came out roughly 16cm / just over 6 inches across.
The pattern is by Signed with an Owl, and can be found here. If you would like to see more about the making of this blanket, just type 'Glastonbury' into the search box at the top of the right-hand sidebar :)
I totally recommend this pattern, it's quite easy, lots of fun, and gives such great results!!