Saturday 27 December 2014

Frozen Fever Bunting! Ta Dah!!



I hope that everyone had a great Christmas!

Mine wasn’t quite as I had imagined it would be as I haven’t been very well for several days now. I have a few different tablets to keep taking though, so hopefully I will be back to normal soon!

You may remember though that one thing I had planned for Christmas was the making of a Frozen-related something for a little girl I know, who came over to Australia with her family at the same time as we came over.

I started out with plans for a blanket that could double as a play mat of some kind, but I really wasn’t happy with either the colours or the texture of the yarn I had found. I therefore put the plans on hold, until I realised that I could make bunting instead! It wouldn’t matter about the texture then, and would have the added bonus that I could miss out the worst of the colours…

I managed to leave it until the last minute to actually finish off this plan, and so the evening before Christmas Eve I was hooking away furiously to finish of the snowflake centres:



Next up was to surround the snowflakes with colour. I chose the two colours that seemed to match the Frozen theme best (out of what I had available) – a turquoise and a purple – and added a pink as I had been informed that the recipient LOVES pink!




The next morning, Christmas Eve, I added the edging to each triangle. Double crochet with occasional picots down the sides, and leaving the ends loose for decorating with beads. I had begun by leaving chains and adding a bead to the bottom of each end, but I went off this idea. I unpicked the chains and threaded 2 different-sized beads to both ends, near to the bunting triangle. I thought this looked much better!




Then, using the same colour as the edging, I joined all of the triangles together: I chained 35, then double crocheted along the top edge of the first triangle, then chained 3, then double crocheted along the top edge of the next triangle, and so on and so on until all were joined. I then chained 35 from the final triangle, before turning and adding 2 rows of double crochet along the whole length. 





And then it was finished!

I couldn’t hang it up at home for photos – there’s nothing to hang it on in the apartment, and we’re not allowed to put pins in the walls. Draping it on my sofa bed just didn't work!



I realised I could tie it to the balcony railing though – it was not lost on me that I was taking photos of snowflake bunting in front of palm trees in 30 degree heat!!





The little lady who now owns this bunting already has this great wallpaper mural from Next

Image from next.co.uk


Hopefully the bunting will make a good addition :)


P.S. The bunting is entirely my own pattern, I know I have rather uselessly missed Christmas, but when I am feeling better I will write up the pattern in case anyone wants to make Frozen bunting of their own!






2 comments:

  1. Hello, sorry to hear you are not feeling well, hope you are back to normal soon...Lovely bunting, I'm sure any frozen fan will be over the moon with that gift xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting there slowly thanks - hopefully not too much longer till I'm back to normal! I have been told that the little lady did love her Frozen gifts, so I'm happy about that :)
    Dxx

    ReplyDelete